About this course
Is this for you?
This course is aimed at speakers, trainers, subject experts, voiceover artists, bloggers, journalists, marketeers, digital content designers – in fact just about anyone who wants to create digital audio content. It assumes no technical knowledge other than very basic computer skills. If you already have sound recording equipment that’s fine. If you don’t, you’ll find out on the course what’s needed to do a good job.
Complete this course and you’ll be able to:
- make the case for audio as the best medium for your subject;
- develop a compelling concept for your audio content;
- structure your recording to maintain interest;
- record sound in such a way that you control echo, manage ‘plosives’, avoid muffled sound and minimise background noise;
- edit your recording to remove unwanted sound characteristics;
- edit the elements of your recording to make them sound cohesive;
- choose the best distribution channel for your content.
How it works
The course is comprised of eight ‘episodes’, each of which includes a short video and, more often than not, an activity to help you to build your skills and confidence. We also provide you with a range of valuable resources that you can use for on-going reference and opportunities to engage with others taking the course.
If you complete the course, you will receive a Skills Journey badge. If you want, you can complete an optional assignment to help you put what you have learned into practice and demonstrate your skills to others.
Meet your tutor
Paul James is the Director of Wafer Audio. He is experienced in mixing creative, song-filled, multi-language animation titles; dialogue for cinema releases for Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Warner Bros. and Paramount; documentaries for the BBC, History Channel and Sky; and recording and editing voiceover for ads and trailers. He is a Pro Tools professional with over 20 years experience in broadcast editing and mixing. He is also a creative foley sound effects recordist and designer. Wafer Audio have their studios in Brighton, England.