This course acts as a foundation to anyone taking a serious interest in digital content design and development. It looks at the essential principles and processes that apply whatever type of content you’re producing, whether you’re going to do the designing and developing yourself or whether you’re working with specialists. If you apply the principles and processes covered in this course, you’ll have gone a long way to professionalise your digital content skills and dramatically improve your effectiveness.
Is this for you?
This course is aimed at anyone who expects to play a role in the design and development of any form of digital learning content, whether you will be managing that process, working on a team with specialists or doing it all yourself.
Take this course and you’ll be able to:
- recognise opportunities for the effective application of digital learning content;
- analyse a requirement for digital learning content in terms of the underlying need, the desired learning outcomes, the audience characteristics and the practical constraints;
- construct behavioural learning objectives for specific pieces of digital learning content;
- describe the various roles that you could play in the design and development of digital learning content;
- given a particular set of circumstances, select an appropriate process for the design and development of digital learning content;
- list strategies for working effectively as a designer alongside subject specialists;
- identify those points in the design and development process at which documentation is required and describe what should be included in that documentation, who should be involved in creating it and who should approve it;
- describe the three main levels at which digital content needs to be managed and the ways in which this can be accomplished effectively.
How it works
The course is comprised of seven lessons, each of which includes a short video and one or more activities to complete. The activities are vital in helping you build your skills and confidence. You will also be provided with a range of valuable resources that you can use for on-going reference and opportunities to engage with others taking the course.
If you complete the course, you will receive a Skills Journey badge. If you want, you can complete an optional assignment to help you put what you have learned into practice and demonstrate your skills to others.