We are all learning machines, constantly adapting to the ever-changing threats and opportunities with which we are confronted. We learn through experience, whether consciously or unconsciously; we learn by seeking out the knowledge and skills we need to carry out our day-to-day tasks; we learn by sharing experiences and best practice with our colleagues, and by taking advantage of opportunities for development, both formal and informal.
The learning architect designs environments that enable specific target populations to take maximum advantage of all these opportunities for learning. To do this they need to understand the unique characteristics of their clients and the business challenges they are facing; they need to find just the right balance between top-down and bottom-up learning initiatives, between the formal and informal.
This course provides you with the skills and confidence you need if you are to provide the professional services of the learning architect for your clients.
Is this for you?
This course is aimed at learning professionals who have a responsibility for providing strategic consulting services for their clients, whether you operate internally as a manager, learning specialist or business partner, or externally as a consultant. Specifically, you will be interested in the broader context in which a population of employees learns and develops over time and not just at how to make a formal response to a particular problem.
Take this course and you’ll be able to:
- identify the characteristics of the true learning professional;
- distinguish between the various contexts in which learning occurs in the workplace;
- recognise, for a given population, the available opportunities for enhancing workplace learning in all its contexts;
- recommend, for a given population, an appropriate balance between formal, non-formal, on-demand and experiential learning;
- describe the conditions under which bottom-up learning can successfully flourish; recommend, for a given population, an appropriate balance between top-down and bottom learning.
How it works
The course is composed of seven lessons, each of which includes a short video and an activity to complete. The activities are critical if you are to build your skills and confidence and prepare adequately for the final assignment. You will also be provided with a number of e-books that you can use for on-going reference as well as an infographic.
If you complete the course, you will receive a Skills Journey badge. If you want, you can complete an optional assignment to help you put what you have learned into practice and demonstrate your skills to others.