About this course
Is this for you?
This course is aimed at anyone with a responsibility for facilitating a group learning experience, whether in the classroom or online. The course is also suitable for those whose responsibilities are primarily for presenting content or for instructing a group, who are looking to incorporate facilitated elements within their sessions.
Take this course and you’ll be able to:
- distinguish between facilitation, presentation and instruction;
- recognise opportunities for using a facilitative approach;
- clarify the goals for a facilitated session;
- determine appropriate group and sub-group sizes;
- structure a facilitated session;
- set the scene at the opening of a session;
- establish a climate of trust;
- set up, manage and review group activities;
- encourage participants to act upon the insights they have gained.
How it works
The course is comprised of nine lessons, each of which includes a short video, in many cases incorporating dramatised demonstrations of facilitation in action. Many of the lessons also incorporate activities to help you build your skills and confidence. You will also be provided with resources that you can use for on-going reference, including a short handbook and an infographic. Throughout the course you will opportunities to engage with others taking the course.
If you complete the course, you will receive a Skills Journey badge. Optionally, you can complete an assignment to help you put what you have learned into practice and demonstrate your skills to others.