About this course
Is this for you?
This course is aimed at anyone who conducts training on the job, regardless of your job role. No prior knowledge of teaching and learning principles is required – just a willingness to do a great job of training people in the workplace.
Take this course and you’ll be able to:
- prepare a job breakdown, listing the key steps in a task and the key points you need to make at each step;
- establish specific, observable objectives for a session of on-job instruction;
- commence a session by preparing the learner, putting them at ease, setting the scene, engaging their attention and building on what they already know;
- explain the task without overloading the learner, demonstrating each step, making use of visual aids and examples, and encouraging questions;
- have the learner try the task for themselves, correcting obvious errors, providing helpful feedback and spreading practice over time;
- follow up, putting the learner on their own, providing access to help, checking that the learner is OK and tapering off support over time.
How it works
The course is comprised of seven lessons, each of which includes at least one video and often an activity to complete. These activities will help you build your skills and confidence. You will also be provided with a range of valuable resources that you can use for on-going reference, including a quick reference guide and an infographic.
If you complete the course, you will receive a Skills Journey badge. If you want, you can complete an optional assignment to help you put what you have learned into practice and demonstrate your skills to others.