Visual aids help us to communicate. They can be used to represent real-life people, places, objects or events. They can indicate relationships or trends over time. They attract attention. They stick in the memory.
This course provides you with the skills necessary to really make the most of visual aids in your presentations and training sessions, to stand out for your professionalism and to provide your audiences with a more engaging and enlightening experience.
You might think that good visual design is the exclusive province of graphics specialists born with mysterious creative talents and extensive professional training. Think again because, like all skills, visual design is a question of knowing the rules and then getting plenty of practice with informed feedback. This course helps you to do just that.
Is this for you?
This course is aimed at presenters, teachers and trainers who want to communicate more effectively using visual aids. It will also benefit digital content designers who do not come from a graphic design background and who want to make a bigger contribution to the visual aspects of their development projects.
The course requires you to complete exercises in Microsoft PowerPoint, Apple Keynote or a similar product. For this reason, you should have a working knowledge of one of these tools to get the most from the module. The course does not include instruction in using these tools.
Take this course and you’ll be able to:
- distinguish between representational, explanatory and decorative visuals;
- make the case for visual aids;
- apply the four essential graphic design principles of alignment, proximity, repetition and contrast;
- successfully employ photos, illustrations, diagrams and charts in your visual designs;
- use text effectively without conflicting with your verbal presentation;
- tastefully and effectively employ transitions, animations and video within your designs;
- create stand-alone visual presentations, including handouts, job aids, SlideShare presentations and interactive applications.
How it works
The course is comprised of six lessons, each of which includes a short video and one or more activities to complete. The activities will help you build your skills and confidence. You will also be provided with a range of valuable resources that you can use for on-going reference and opportunities to engage with others taking the course.
If you complete the course, you will receive a Skills Journey badge. If you want, you can complete an optional assignment to help you put what you have learned into practice and demonstrate your skills to others.